Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Importance of Being Earnest

I attended the Ath on Wednesday to see our school's performance of Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest". I had never before seen a play at the Ath, so this was a new experience for me. I have seen this movie before and I signed up for this Ath presentation because it peaked my curiosity. The theater students did a marvelous job in their rendition of this piece of art. I quickly picked up several differences between the movie and the play. As the play was only one hour and forty five minutes long, as you would except, several scenes where not included. Nonetheless, the actors successfully demonstrated the take-away of how crucial it is to be earnest. After the play, the actress of Ms. Prism told me that the actors were given the freedom to individualize their lines. She mentioned that one actor often spun his scripted lines on the spot, adding a significantly larger number of lines each time! I enjoyed the entertainment that our fellow CMC students provided and loved seeing how they incorporated their own stylist preferences and interpenetration into this well known comedy. I hope that you all had a chance to see it to :).

No comments:

Post a Comment